Volunteering at the Honolulu Zoo is a great way to learn about animals, gain valuable experience, support a beloved community institution, support conservation initiatives, meet new people and work outdoors in a lush tropical environment! Join the Honolulu Zoo’s volunteer program in a variety of fields – from conservation and education to zoo keeper support – and contribute to the Zoo’s mission of inspiring the stewardship of our living world.
Those applying to volunteer should meet these requirements.
– Be 18 years of age or older (Exceptions: Jr. Leader Program, Event Volunteers and Community Groups)
– Complete the required online Volunteer Application
– Pass a criminal background check
– Meet for an in-person interview with Volunteer Program staff and or other Zoo staff
– Successfully complete general orientation and program specific volunteer training
– Meet the minimum time commitment of 3-6 months, depending on the program, minimum one 2.5 hour shift per week
– Professional training for each program
– Discounts on Honolulu Zoo Society memberships
– Gift shop and snack bar discounts
– Volunteer events
– Furthering educational opportunities
– Helping the Honolulu Zoo fulfil their mission, making a difference in the lives of staff, visitors and animals at the zoo and abroad.
For those under 18 please note our Jr. Leader program on the Volunteer Programs page