Join us on April 8 for Zoo Lovers Day! It is a perfect day to visit your local zoo and join the millions of people who visit a zoo each year. Enjoy seeing your favorite animals swinging from the trees or splashing in the water and have a fun-filled day!
The Honolulu Zoo will have keiki crafts and activities set up on the “playground lawn” from 10 am to 2 pm. Join us for wildly good time!
Here are five fun facts about the Honolulu Zoo!
1. Prior to 1935 it was the Kapiolani Park Zoo.
2. The Honolulu Zoo has bred over fifty giraffes in our history, sending them to such places as China, New Zealand, India, and Australia.
3. In 1929 Six Galapagos tortoises arrived from Panama, on loan from the New York Zoological Society. The Honolulu Zoo was the first to breed Galapagos tortoises in an American zoo.
4. The Honolulu Zoo was the first American Zoo to breed Angulated tortoises.
5. The Honolulu Zoo is one of the few zoos to have bred birds of paradise. The zoo has bred the superb bird of paradise, magnificent bird of paradise and raggiana bird of paradise.